font-family: 'Italianno', cursive;

Friday, May 15, 2009

Blackberry Hill is a magical place.

Here, where the land is mostly flat, it rises majestically and lets you look at the surroundings from above.

You see things from a different perspective. Kind of like writing does for the writer. True to its name, this gentle hump in the land grows the most delicious deep purple berries in the summer and gives us a great place for fires and wienie roasts in the fall. This hill is where my children came, pails in hand, to pick berries when they were young. Now I bring my my little grandchildren here to do the same.
This is the place I feel drawn to when I am sad or need to contemplate my small part in the vastness of all that is life and its out workings. I guess then it could go without saying that Blackberry Hill is my spot to come and write. To pour out what ever thoughts seem to be most tangled up in my head, and the ideas that are sticking close to my heart.

Up here on the hill on this day of gray and mysterious weather, I lay back in the grass and watch the clouds moving in their apparently aimless fashion. Pushing and bumping against each other, then drifting apart and away. Where do they go next, these clouds? Little gusts of wind blow a whistling symphony in the grass around my ears and the clouds seem to hear it and respond. I feel so a part of it all and my heart soars.
Even though I don't understand much at all about this universe, I am here. It lets me be a part. I share the mystery. I get to experience this while I roam around inside my own head. I am reminded of the words of Tolkien... "Not all those who wander are lost."
Recently on Blackberry Hill we had a wonderful memory building moment. My son got married in one place on the farm (a hay field) BUT he and his bride had their pictures taken guess where? Why Blackberry Hill of course!
I have to tell you that I had nothing to do with this decision. If I had we would have held the wedding there too! But after serious hours riding around together on a tractor together scouting out locations and lighting (family sanctioned dating here in our neck of the woods) son and soon to be wife decided that Blackberry Hill would be "The Photo Spot". Of course there are many shots from this location of that day, but none of them speak to me like this one.
The bridal party was moving down the hill to catch the light for more pictures. The bride is way out in front in the light colored dress. The father of the bride carries the flower girl in his arms. Others lift their long skirts to walk in the tall autumn grass.
I love this one picture the most because it caught the happy and spontaneous mood of the moment. To have planned this shot would have been next to impossible.

 It just had to "happen".

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous picture & a beautiful post Indie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished reading your blog. Very well done. I am looking forward to more. Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thans Jas and Maggie! That is an actual spot here on the farm, that is why I wanted to use it. Im glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete