font-family: 'Italianno', cursive;

Monday, June 1, 2009

Its June Already!

June 1st to be exact.

On this particular day in history, Marilyn Monroe was born and Helen Keller died.

It is also the beginning of hurricane season if you live on or near the Gulf of Mexico.

June means school is out and schedules relax.

June is about the end of education - which we call graduation and about the ceremonial beginnings that we call marriage. June bride anyone?


The June full moon is one week away. June 8th is the actual date and it has a Native American name...

Its the Strawberry Moon:

Strawberry Moon - June This name was universal to every Algonquin tribe. However, in Europe they called it the Rose Moon. Also because the relatively short season for harvesting strawberries comes each year during the month of June . . . so the full Moon that occurs during that month was christened for the strawberry!
{from the Farmers Almanac}




What June means on a farm,

It means summer is here with a vengeance. Allergy season is mostly over and the cutting of hay season is beginning. Long hours on a tractor under an endless blue sky. Thats June.


The strawberries here in our growing zone are almost gone and the watermelons are just starting. Along with the blueberries.

One more week and one more rain shower and it will be time to pick the blackberries that grow up on Blackberry Hill here on the farm.

Moving on from fruit to flowers, the Magnolias are in full bloom.

There is only one Magnolia tree on the whole farm so I treasure it. I love to analyze the tree and finally, cut just one.



I look for the most wide open fully bloomed flower with dark green waxy leaves and put it in a glass bowl on the dining room table and let it float in all its creamy white glory while its "citrusy" (made up word) fragrance fills the air.

In spite of their strong perfume and the fact that they are poisonous if you eat them, the petals are amazingly delicate. If you touch them they bruise.

They are kind of like some people I guess.

3 comments:

  1. Magnolias are so ver beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 1 ½ Magnolia trees in my yard. I originally had one that I had babied for years and it was about 12 feet tall. For some reason the guy who mows the yard for me decided that it needed trimming. He cut about three feet off the top! Well, anybody knows what happens when the top is cut off a tree. It never looks right again. I complained to his boss and the company bought me a new tree and planted it for me. I would not allow them to take out the old tree, so now I have a tree and a half. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love magnolias. We had a beautiful tree in our yard when I was growing up. I wish I had one now but have no room :o(

    I must need a farm!

    Our strawberries are just ripening now and the birds seem to be getting them rather quickly!

    Lynie

    ReplyDelete