font-family: 'Italianno', cursive;

Thursday, April 22, 2010

One short month later...

and here we are with our young, skinny and misunderstood steers....

after 4 1/2 weeks of grazing on nutritive grass with a protein block to lick and a mineral bar for supplements and of course fresh water (with gold fish keeping the tank free of algae)

here is what we have...

mind you, that conventional wisdom says they should have been grain feed and vaccinated and wormed within an inch of their lives....

which of course hasn't happened.

Yes, they got wormed and they got their baby vaccines. But that is where we stepped off the mainstream trail of thinking.

Now they are living the life of "Born Free".

They choose what to eat when.

The difference in one short month is enough to make your eyeballs fall out.

They have each gained between 75 -100 pounds. They run. They kick up their heels.

When I watch them, I get the feeling the y are living their authentic cow life.

Here are a few updated shots.

Posted by Picasa



The littliest Princess has named the steer on the right "New Jersey".

our conversation-

her - "What kind of cow is that?"

me - "He is a Jersey"

her - Ok! Lets name him New Jersey then!"

me - Do you know what New Jersey is?

her - "A cow."

alrighty then!

Isnt he getting big? (and so pretty!)

 
Posted by Picasa


A happy, easy, life...


 
Posted by Picasa


and of course none of it would get done without Mr. Blue's help!

 
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Indie! It's been awhile! For some reason my computer kept bringing me to an old post so I thought you just hadn't posted in a while. Then I got the wild idea to click on your header and BAM! There were your newer posts! I was worried that something happened and you weren't blogging anymore! Glad to see that's not the case.

    In regard to the grass fed cattle...I'm all for it! There are MANY people out there eager to get their hands on some "organic" beef! We purchase either 1/4 or 1/2 at a time, depending on how full our freezer is. My cousin sells it to us and there is just nothing better. The meat is so tender & filled with flavor! You will have great success with this, I'm sure! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, welcome back! It is really great to hear from you.

    loves...

    -yağmur

    ReplyDelete